New Zealand Work Visa

Work Visas for Foreigners

8e5b0eee1cWork visas for foreigners desiring to work in New Zealand are highly sought after.
Foreigners seeking to work in New Zealand must obtain a work visa and this is usually a Work To Residence WTR type. This allows the recipient a 24 month period of working in New Zealand and following a successful completion,  an application for permanent residence status is usually granted.

There are three types of Work to Residence visas:

  1. WR1   Talent   (accredited employers)
  2. WR2   Talent   (Arts, Culture and Sports)
  3. WR3    Long Term Skilled Shortage List

All three visas will allow a 30 month work period and with multiple entry- meaning one can leave and return any amount of times during that period.

Talent Visas – details

  1. Most people intending to move to New Zealand and work usually aim for the first one WR1.  Both are similar and both require that the applicant be under 56 years of age – over that is considered retired. 'Talent' means you have certain abilities that are desirable that would make a positive contribution to the New Zealand economy or society.
  2. WR1  and WR2 both require that you have found a nationally accredited employer that has given you a firm job offer, thus this should precede all other immigration paperwork.
  3. WR1 requires a  salary of a minimum of  NZ$45,000 and must be confirmed by the employer.
  4. WR2 requires that you be 'extraordinary' in your particular talent or gift. Proof would be required by the Immigration Service.

WR3 Long Term Skilled Shortage List – details

  1. This visa is exactly as described,  your skill must be on a particular list of skills that are in high demand. The only major requirement is that your skill simply be on the list.
  2. Unlike the WR1 &2, there is no age limit whatsoever.
  3. No employer need be listed as a job guarantor.
  4. To prove you have that desired skill all degrees, diplomas, accreditation must be in order.
  5. All the necessary job descriptions and requirements are included on the WR3 listing.