The academic entry requirements listed here are intended as a guide only; other
requirements may apply to specific programmes. Please refer to the Unitec website for the specific requirements for each programme, including the special admission criteria.
To be eligible for admission to a Unitec programme, applicants are required to meet:
- either the general or special admission requirements
- the English requirements
- any selection criteria that apply (eg portfolio, interview, work experience, registration)
NZ Secondary School Students
If you are currently studying (or have completed your schooling) in New Zealand, please check the specific programme entry criteria on the Unitec website.
Please refer to the Country Specific equivalents page for a guide to general requirements from various countries.
Unitec accepts academic IELTS and its equivalents, including NCEA English credits from NZ secondary school and TOEFL tests.
Certificates, Diplomas, Bachelor - Recognised qualifications for general admission are:
- Appropriate NCEA credits at NZ secondary school (details on Unitec’s website)
- Country-specific equivalents (see page 37)
- Unitec’s Certificate in Foundation Studies: Whitinga in a relevant pathway. Diplomas require level 2, bachelors require level 3.
Graduate Certificates or Diplomas - General admission criteria:
- Have a recognised bachelor degree,
- OR: Hold a qualification in a relevant discipline,
- OR: Be able to demonstrate competencies equivalent to a graduate from the above qualifications
Postgraduate Certificates or Diplomas/ Masters
- Have a recognised bachelor degree in the same or similar discipline with merit achievement (deemed to be an average grade of B or higher in all level 7 courses),
- OR: Hold a professional qualification in a relevant discipline recognised as being equivalent to at least merit achievement in a bachelors degree,
- OR: Be able to demonstrate competencies equivalent to a bachelors levelgraduate in a relevant discipline
- General admission criteria:
- Have at least three years’ appropriate professional experience relevant to the discipline in which the doctorate is being undertaken,
- AND: Have qualified for or been awarded a masters degree in the same
- or similar discipline with not less than upper second class honours or
- OR: Have an honours degree of four years’ duration in the same or similar discipline with at least an A- average, which includes a research project,
- OR: Have a postgraduate diploma in the same or similar discipline and be able to demonstrate analytical and critical thinking skills and data interpretation equivalent to the above masters or honours degrees.
To apply at Unitec in Auckland or to recieve more information. Just send an email to our free student service.